Facebook Twitter LinkedIn E-mail
Home Historical Sites Sultan Abdul Samad Building

Sultan Abdul Samad Building

FIND HOTELS NEARBY

The Sultan Abdul Samad Building was designed by Arthur Charles Alfred Norman and was completed in 1896. It is a stark contrast to the Tudor-style building of the Royal Selangor Club that it faces. The building served as the British administrative building up until 1957. Then it was converted into the High Court, Federal Court, and Court of Appeals Complex for Malaysia until 2007.

Show on Map

The 41-meter tower chimed for the first time to coincide with Queen Victoria’s Jubilee Parade in 1897 and has chimed since. After the independence of Malaysia in 1957, the clock has chimed every year at 12 midnight to mark the independence celebration. In 1982, the clock was used as the officiating and standardization of time between West and East Malaysia as well as Singapore.

The Sultan Abdul Samad Building has been a landmark for Kuala Lumpur. Its predominantly Moorish appearance with a touch of British architecture suitably reflects the history of Malaysia.

How to get there: Travellers can take the LRT Kelana Jaya Line or the Ampang Line and stop at Masjid Jamek station. Sultan Abdul Samad building is conveniently located adjacent to the Dataran Merdeka.

Address:
Bangunan Sultan Abdul Samad
Jalan Raja Laut
50350 Kuala Lumpur

 

Map

 

 
 Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Reddit Share on LinkedIn
© WE!Come KL. All Rights Reserved